Al Qaeda: The Organization and the Ideological Movement Since the 9/11 Attacks
- Burke, Jason. The 9/11 Wars. (New York: Penguin, 2011). AfPak Channel review by Daniel Byman - Burke brings the reader from villages in Afghanistan and Iraq to slums in London and France, offering individual portraits of combatants and those overrun by war while also weaving in government policies and scholarly research to portray the broader context.
- Clarke, Richard, ed. Terrorism: what the next president will face, Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, July 2008.
- Farah, Douglas. Blood from Stones: The Secret Financial Network of Terror. (New York: Broadway, 2004).
- Greenberg, Karen, ed. Al Qaeda Now: Understanding Today's Terrorists. (New York: Cambridge, 2005). A stimulating collection of essays.
- Riedel, Bruce. The Search for al-Qaeda: Its Leadership, Ideology, and Future. (Washington D.C.: Brookings Institution Press, 2010).
- Atran, Scott. "Mishandling Suicide Terrorism." The Washington Quarterly. 27.3, summer 2004.
- Bergen, Peter. "War of Error." The New Republic, October 22, 2007.
- Burke, Jason. "Al Qaeda: Think Again." Foreign Policy. Issue 142, May/June 2004.
- Cruickshank, Paul and Ali, Mohannad Hage Ali. "Abu Musab al Suri: Architect of the New al Qaeda." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 30:1, 2007.
- Cullison, Alan and Higgins, Andrew. "Al Qaeda Acolyte, One of Many, Vows to Die for the Cause." Wall Street Journal. December 30, 2002.
- Elegant, Simon. "The Jihadis' Tale." TIME. January 27, 2002.
- Hegghammer, Thomas. "Terrorist Recruitment and Radicalization in Saudi Arabia." Middle East Policy, 13.4: winter 2006.
- Hoffman, Bruce. "Al Qaeda, Trends in Terrorism, and Future Potentialities: An Assessment." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 26.6, November-December 2003.
- Hoffman, Bruce. "The Changing Face of al Qaeda." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism 27.6, November/December 2004.
- Hoffman, Bruce. "Is al Qaeda on the run or on the march?" Middle East Policy 14:2, 2007.
- Hoffman, Bruce. "Rethinking Terrorism and Counterterrorism Since 9/11." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism. 25.25, September 2002. 303-316.
- International Crisis Group Reports about JI here.
- Kessler, Glenn. "Saudis Tie al Qaeda to Attacks." Washington Post. May 14, 2003.
- Petrou, Michael. "Lebanon's new terrorist threat." Macleans.ca, July 9, 2007.
- Singapore. Ministry of Home Affairs. White Paper: The Jemaah Islamiyah Arrests and the Threat of Terrorism. This is an enormously through investigation of JI in Singapore, which will be of particular interest for anyone researching JI.
- Stern, Jessica. "The Protean Enemy." Foreign Affairs. 82.4, July/August 2003. 27-40
- Whitlock, Craig. "The New al Qaeda Central." Washington Post. September 9, 2007.
- Wright, Larry. "The Master Plan." The New Yorker September 11, 2006.